Dusting Off the Files

Posted 6/12/24

105 Years Ago – June 14, 1919

The building formerly used for P.W. Clifton’s barbershop is being prepared for occupancy by the Dairy Belt Land Co. and the office of Bert C. …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Dusting Off the Files


105 Years Ago – June 14, 1919

The building formerly used for P.W. Clifton’s barbershop is being prepared for occupancy by the Dairy Belt Land Co. and the office of Bert C. Bentley, attorney.

95 Years Ago – June 13, 1929

E.R. Acker has received the contract for the construction of the new addition to the Soo Line depot in this city. A 21 foot addition will be built onto the east end of the depot, which will be used for a freight room, while the old freight room will be made over for a furnace room and cooling room. Partitions in the men’s waiting room will be moved in two feet in order to give more room for offices, and on the north of the building another addition will be built 5x18 feet, which will give washroom and toilet accommodations. The cost of the new structure with the changes will be around $6,000.

85 Years Ago – June 15, 1939

Extensive remodeling operations are underway at the Withee Drug Store and in the offices of Dr. J.W. Johnson of Withee. Clarence Rigg began the first of the week giving the interior of the first floor of the building a complete going over.

75 Years Ago – June 16, 1949

Harvey Weddig, Owen, who has been affiliated with the partnership of Jensen Brothers Drug Stores in Owen and Eau Claire for the past 28 years terminated those amiable relationships with the acquisition of the entire stock and real estate of the Owen store in a deal that transpired on the 13th of this month.

Wm. Catura, Sr., a resident of the First Ward of the City of Owen for the past 20 years, Monday night was appointed to the office of Alderman of the First Ward. He will succeed K.L. Mathewson who on the first of the month moved his residence from the First to the Second Ward where he purchased another residence.

65 Years Ago – June 11, 1959

Larry, Linda, Gary, Diane, Janet and Dennis are rejoicing over the arrival of their new brother born on the seventh of June at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Marshfield. The baby weighed in at nine pounds and 10 ounces and his proud parents are Mr. and Mrs. Emil Looker of Owen.

More than 80 persons became ill after attending a dinner Sunday at the parish hall of St. Bernard’s Catholic Church at Thorp. About 28 of those who suffered severe vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pains went to Victory Memorial Hospital at Stanley.

55 Years Ago – June 12, 1969

The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture has mailed checks totaling $40,000 to former patrons of the Owen Dairy, the department reports. Owen Dairy closed in April 1964 owing producers some $288,800. The $40,000 sum was paid out of the bond required under the state’s dairy plant security law.

45 Years Ago – June 13, 1979

The O-W School Board approved an all day kindergarten program for the 1979-80 school year, during their regular monthly June meeting held at the O-W High School library by a vote of five to one on the motion. One member was absent, and the one member in the negative still had serious reservations about five year olds being in school all day long.

Nancy Amacher, Owen, will leave Tuesday, June 19, on a five week tour of nations of the Far East, visiting the nations of Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, and a four day side trip into the People’s Republic of China. Nancy will be a part of a tour group, called the Lutheran Seminar Tour, and they will be visiting Lutheran mission fields, and mission churches, to look at their programs, and gain some appreciation of the work with these native people.

35 Years Ago – June 15, 1989

Alan Bechel and Barbara Burnett purchased the Hayloft at Withee taking over the management on June 3. With Cynthia Baehr, Barbara’s sister, as an assistant, they plan to continue operating the business in the same friendly atmosphere.

Friday afternoon, June 9 at 2 p.m. ground was broken for the new Owen Library, which is to be built on the lot just north of the Owen-Curtiss State Bank.

25 Years Ago – June 16, 1999

The O-W Nutrition Center was the first in Clark Co., opening in November of 1973. Ray Conzemius, Owen resident now deceased, chairman of the newly formed Owen Center Nutrition Program presided over the kick-off dinner, then held at St. Katherine’s Church in Owen. The O-W Senior Citizens Center was established at 112 East 5th Street, Owen in August of 1981 in the former Haselow building, remodeled and made handicap accessible.

15 Years Ago – June 17, 2009

The Owen-Withee school board recently approved the contract for Bob Houts as superintendent. Mr. Houts has been principal at Edgar for the past seven years.